Sunday, August 24, 2008

That chipotle marinade

My concern in a previous post about the new marinade recipe I am trying today are valid. To my taste, it is one-dimensional and lacks verve and brightness. The impression is nothing but heat from the chipotles.

I have added one cup of chopped, seeded heirloom tomatoes, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tsp salt and 1 tablespoon sugar. It is simmering on the stove and I will use an immersion blender to mix when the tomatoes are done.

At that point, I may choose to do some more fiddling around with it. If I had orange juice I might try some of that, or perhaps dark syrup or molasses?More cumin will go in, as well and some garlic. The recipe was described as having depth and subtlety but it really doesn't.

We don't care much for sweet sauces so don't want to overdo the sugars but what I have added so far has made a difference.

Finally gave up and put in cider vinegar, ketchup and salad mustard. Better a typical sauce than a non-typical one that just doesn't work. It tasted OK but was too much trouble to pull together. Won't make that one again.

No comments: