Thursday, January 8, 2009

Time for cannolis

I am now the proud mistress of 8 stainless steel cannoli forms. Early next week I plan on putting together my first batch of the classic Italian treat. After consultations with 2 great cooks (thanks, Jamie and Mick) I have decided to use 1/2 whole milk ricotta, 1/4 mascarpone and 1/4 whipped cream for the filling. Not sure whether chocolate cannolis or plain cannolis or white chocolate ones or amaretto or... well, the possibilities are seemingly endless.

Therein is the rub. Do I keep it really simple for my first foray or do I really do it up in style? Due to my total inability to deep fry anything, it will be up to Himself to do that part of the recipe. Maybe I should leave the flavor decision up to him as a sort of recompense for the really messy stuff?

I shall try to take some photos while making the dough and all but making no promises. I usually get so involved in the whole process of cooking that I totally forget those "process" photos.

Will report back on fillings and how the whole thing goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay Dragonmom! So glad you went out and bought those cannoli molds and are jumping aboard the cannoli express! Good luck and I am anxious to see how the ricotta-mascarpone-cream filling comes out. I will have to do it that way next time as JP said mine were too cheesy. And once you see how easy they are to make you will hit yourself on the forehead (as I did) and say 'these were so easy!'